Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dear Parties, I hate you. Sincerely, Aric

I don't even know where to direct my anger anymore. Agri-business? Politicians? Coal companies? Wall Street? Yes, they all deserve my enmity, but they're part of the system. They argue for what they believe or want and though I think they're wrong and occasionally stupid or evil, at least their goals are clear. Open disagreements are a natural part of the political landscape and I certainly am not so naive as to think that everyone is going to reach the same conclusions as I do. The best I can hope to do is to align myself with people of like ideas and try to argue our points to the best of our abilities and win elections so that we can send representatives to government to establish the policies we think best for the nation. That should be the raison d'ĂȘtre of political parties. But I don't think that's what we Americans are getting from our parties. I don't think we have groups of people who share similar goals and philosophies, what we seem to have instead is two gigantic corporate entities trying to keep their executives employed and rich. To meet these goals, they seem willing to say or do anything, regardless of how it affects the country.
I wish I was writing about how wrong-headed Republicans are, but that would require my party ideal to be reality. I can't bring myself to really argue against one party when I think the other is trash, and if the Democrats have proven themselves to be anything, it is just that: Trash. They are the most ineffectual, contradictory, worthless bunch of people around. They had complete control over the whitehouse and the senate and were working to pass hugely needed widely popular health care reform and they let themselves be stopped by fox news, some noisy protesters and that jerk Lieberman (are there any good Liebermans? Between Avidor and Joe I'm sick to my stomach, I'll have to search the web for a decent one). Those protesters probably wouldn't have been so much of a problem if the Dems hadn't given wall street everything it wanted as soon as they came into power, which is exactly what the republicans were doing when they were losing power. Lest this seethe on as nothing more than a rant, I'll close out the post. Here are some lyrics from Funker Vogt:

You can look to the left
You can look to the right
In the end there's no difference,
who has the power

Changing the point of view
Promising a better nation
This is nothing new
Just a cosmetic alteration

No comments: